Prosthodontics is the field of dentistry that focuses on replacing missing teeth and or the restoration of teeth that require crowns, veneers, bridges, implants, dentures or any combination of these. The term prosthodontics means, literally, “Tooth replacement”.
Why would I need to see a prosthodontist?
You may be referred to a Prosthodontist if you need treatment for any of the following dental situations:
- An interest in improving your dental appearance and smile
- Replacement of missing or unrestorable teeth
- Rehabilitation/alteration of your occlusion (bite)
- Restoration of teeth and surrounding tissues damaged by decay, trauma, erosion or general wear and tear
- Treatment of orofacial pain or sleep apnoea
- Management and coordination of complex treatment plans
- Dental treatment associated with oral cancer
The treatment provided by prosthodontists may include the provision of restorations (fillings), dentures (full or partial dentures), fixed crowns or bridges, veneers and/or implants.
Prosthodontists often coordinate a team involving other specialist practitioners as required.
The cost of Prosthodontic treatment is determined by each patient’s individual requirements. Following comprehensive diagnosis and discussion and prior to commencement of treatment, patients will receive a detailed treatment plan and estimate of fees.